Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lactose-Free Fun in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Flashback to my Early Childhood:
All of the neighbourhood's children were playing in the street. I was playing the lute, as I often did, and was quite good. All of a sudden, a familiar jingly music started playing from afar that interrupted my lute-playing. Silence came across the neighbourhood and with eyes open wide, the neighbourhood children furrowed their brows in an attempt to understand whether or not this was a false alarm.

Suddenly, the silence was broken. "Ice Cream Man! Ice Cream Man!" shrieked one child as the truck came into view. The children scampered to their houses to empty their piggy-banks and probably pawn their jewelry. They emerged from their houses with crisp dollar bills as they chased down the ice cream truck to secure their favorite dairy snack.

I stood, frozen with fear, unable to make a move or play a bar on my lute. Suddenly, adrenaline hit me and I disappeared into my house, foudn a large, empty bucket, and climbed inside, trembling with fear.

Six hours later, Momma came by, explaining my disappearance to a concerned neighbourhood mother who was eager to hear more majestic lute tunes. "Y'see, God don' want him drink no milk," barked Momma, matter-of-factedly. "My son ain't like no other sons on the block. He can't eat no whippin' cream, he can't drink no whole milk... he... he be alhurgenic to the dairy. He weak." My own mother... called me weak. What a day! But those were troubled times...

Ok, maybe that wasn't a real childhood memory, but since I found out that I'm lactose intolerant, I've been having to make up a lifetime of background stories as to how I've had to cope with such a serious illness. I may have told you this already, but when I got back from Japan, I found that the milk, which I once drank by the Swedish gallon, now makes my stomach angry.

Unfortunately, the same rang true for other milk products. This included caffè latte and ice cream, explaining why I had started feeling sick everyday in Japan. From what I can see, the only really safe dairy product for me is yogurt, which I consume every morning with granola and honey. What a breakfast! (Sorry, one of my students asked me today about the meaning of "What a ...!" and I'm trying to pretend we actually use this in English).

So, I'm lactose intolerant. Canadian society has been less than eager to cater towards this disability. The coffee shop in the mall below which I used to teach, for example, would not make their drinks with lactose-free milk. "We have soy milk," they would unhelpfully suggest everyday. And soy milk tastes like clay, for those of you who haven't had the pleasure.

Even less helpful in this matter has been the Children's Wish Foundation. They assert that lactose-intolerance is not life-threatening enough and that I'm not really a child, so I'm going to have to go elsewhere to get my date with Whoopi Goldberg. I just don't think that they should turn down a disabled boy like that and am seeking legal representation.

No, when it comes down to these types of "untouchable" diseases, one can only count on friends who really know how one feels. Tonight, Kelsey and I made lactose-free chocolate milkshakes.

Delicious.

6 Comments:

At February 28, 2007 4:46 AM, Blogger Jennifer MacMillan said...

Whoopi is missing out.

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. I'll bring you back lactose-free papier mache fruit to make you feel better.

 
At March 02, 2007 3:10 PM, Blogger Summer said...

Hey, I'm lactose intolerant too and soy milk is the shit! :-) I suggest starting with vanilla flavor while you get used to it- but the good brands are either Soy Silk or Westbrae/Westsoy. Get the wrong kind and it tastes like chalk. And be sure to check out Soy Delicious soycream, the whole time I was in Japan I longed for a tub of chocolate fudge brownie! Or if you prefer, theres Rice Dream.

(*_*)

 
At March 03, 2007 2:31 AM, Blogger AR said...

Rice Dream is the biggest scam ever.

You buy it. You pay $10. It sits in your freezer for two years because it's nasty.

I urge you to try those lactose-free chocolate fudge pops that they used to sell at the Metro near my Montreal apartment. They're in the "you have an intolerance" frozen foods aisle.

Tell them AR sent you.

 
At March 04, 2007 7:41 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Thanks for your pity and anti-lactose advice. Summer, all the soy milk I've tried already has tasted like chalk, so I'm going to try adhering to your vanilla advice. Ariana, I will buy fudge pops.

 
At March 06, 2007 8:11 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

If you eat cream cheese, I recommend tofutti. It really is better than cream cheese. You can cook with it, too, as is evidenced by my mad skills in making fake cheesecake bars. Dessert tofu can also make some really good smoothies. I also second the vanilla soy milk.

God, why do I eat so much weird hippie food? I have no excuses.

P.S. This post was really well-written. I am impressed by your prowess with words as well as your weak, girly stomach.

 
At December 26, 2007 11:47 PM, Blogger James said...

Hey,

I'm a little late on the comments, but noticed this post. I too, alas, am lactose free in Halifax. I've got a bunch of other sotmach ailments, but the no lactose one is the biggie.

I will have soy milk on cereal, and I too recommend the vanilla flavour. As for Ice Cream - you should try Purely Decadent Peanut Butter Zig Zag - by far the best. http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/purely_decadent_peanutbutter_zigzag.html - you can pick it up in the organics section at the Super Store on Quinpool.

I also recommend 'Toffutti Cuties'. I prefer the Cookies and Cream flavour. http://www.tofutti.com/c-cnc.shtml You can usually get those at Sobeys in the Organic Freezer section.

Hope this helps, the world is against us intolerant types.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home